In nutrition, diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism. Dietary habits are the habitual decisions an individual or culture makes when choosing what foods to eat. The word diet often implies the use of specific intake of nutrition for health or weight-management reasons. Although humans are omnivores, each culture and each person holds some food preferences or some food taboos. This may be due to personal tastes or ethical reasons. Individual dietary choices may be more or less healthy.
Proper nutrition requires ingestion and absorption of vitamins, minerals, and food energy in the form of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Dietary habits and choices play a significant role in the quality of life, health and longevity. It can define cultures and play a role in religion
Healthy eating is not about strict nutrition philosophies, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about feeling great, having more energy, stabilizing your mood, and keeping yourself as healthy as possible—all of which can be achieved by learning some nutrition basics and using them in a way that works for you. You can expand your range of healthy food choices and learn how to plan ahead to create and maintain a tasty, healthy diet.
Checklist for Healthy Eating
- Instead of :
- Added sugar, be it granulated sugar, brown sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, corn sugar, or honey.
- Dairy fat from ice cream, whole milk, and cheese.
- Baked sweets. Cookies, snack cakes, doughnuts, pastries, etc.
- White carbohydrates. Bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, cookies, cake, or pancakes.
- Processed meats like bacon, ham, pepperoni, hot dogs, and many lunch meats.
- Added salt.
- Try :
- Naturally sweet food such as fruit, peppers, or natural peanut butter.
- Low-fat versions, such as skim milk and reduced-fat cheeses.
- Making homemade cookies or bars using grains such as oatmeal, and less sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Whole-grain pancake mix, whole-wheat pastas and breads, brown rice.
- Protein from fish, skinless chicken, nuts, beans, soy, and whole grains.
- Flavoring food with garlic, herbs, and spices
||Sago khichadi (1 vati)
||Malai peda (2 pcs)
|Dahi batata puri(1 plate)
||Chicken hakka noodles
|Pani Puri (6 pcs)
||Misal (1 plate)
||1 Aloo paratha
|Sabudana vada (2 pcs)
||1 Medu vada
|1 Wada pav
||Pepsi (1 bottle)
|Bhel puri (1 plate)
||Coconut chutney (1 tbsp)
Calorie Count for Alcoholic beverages:
|Beer (1 glass)
||Vodka (1 glass)
|Wine (1 glass)
||Whisky (1 peg)
The calories consumed in different physical activities in 30 mins. The below table is calculated for a 84kg person. The Calories consumed in different physical activities, increases as the weight of the person increases.
|Stroll / Leisure walk
||House hold work
||Stroll/ Leisure walk
One Plate of Pav Bhaji=90 Minutes of Brisk Walk. Think Before You Eat!!!